Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

My local parts place suggested I call Timken Bearing to find better-quality "Made in USA" bearings. Timken told me that AutoZone is their major stocking distributor. I called ahead and they had bearings for my TM in stock and they were stamped "Made in USA" (important to me). However, not a single employee at AutoZone knew anything about wheel bearings and they were unable to determine the correct grease seals to use. I went back to my "old school" parts house for the seals, and there they removed the old races, installed the new ones, and turned the drums for me. They took me to the shop area and let me watch the remove/install and turning process, and gave me lots of tips. So nice to have a place like that!

BTW--the bearings I removed were stamped "Made in Romania". The Timken rep was unsure if they were made for Timken. He said sometimes they do contract to have bearings made in other countries when expedient.

I'd go for the 12,000 mile repack but I have a hard time keeping track of miles so I do it on my other trailer "every couple years".

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote