View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #22
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I have the classic 'one wheel throwing grease' issue. It's clearly coming from the junction of the grease cap and wheel hub. I've tried tapping the cap on without much luck, so I'm going to replace the caps - a set is only about ten bucks from Dexter (plus shipping o'course).

Is it true that only the grease that has been released/relieved out of the hub is being thrown out? In other words, this loss of grease is not a danger to the bearings? That is what I gather from reading this thread (especially Bill's recounting of his discussion with the Dexter folks). I hope to get it fixed before the next trip, but I'd like to know how risky my behavior is if I don't.

Thanks!
Can't answer your question ... but are you sure your brakes are working well enough with the leaky seal?

In my case the bearing seal went and threw grease all over the inside of the drum, and the brakes were not braking well at all. I could tell by checking the drum temperatures after a hard stop. The good brake was hot at the drum, the one with the leaky seal was only a bit warm.

EDIT: Wait a minute ... your leak is at the grease cap, on the outside, not at the grease seal, on the inside? If so, ignore my post!