View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mom -

No, the foam did not crack or tear, but we handled it gently. The cushions were easy - pull the foam blocks out of the covers, wash the covers, then wash the foam blocks on a gentle cycle. Warm water, soap - relatively easy to do.

The foam core of the bed is a BIG piece of foam. It was clearly not going to fit in our washing machine. So what I did was to remove the foam lock from the case, take it outside, and lay it over a few sawhorses and deck chairs, just to get it more or less flat and off the ground. Then I got a bucket, filled it with warm soapy water, and tossed the water all over the foam block. Let the block absorb the warm soapy water for a few minutes. Turn the block over, and repeat. Wait several minutes, then hose it off with a lot of cool water from the hose, turn it over, and repeat. Really soak it down - a clean rinse is important. Then let the block dry (it takes a long time) in the sun.

Meanwhile, wash the mattress cover in the washing machine, dry it on a gentle cycle, and stretch it out flat.

Stuffing the foam back into the cover was a two-person job, no doubt about it.

We did this several years ago, and it seemed to help my wife's allergies. We'll see.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote