View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodyear Travels View Post
I will install softer bumpers on the underside of toilet seat as soon as I find some. I went to ACE hardware and was told that the bumpers that were recommended are no longer available (they checked on-line too).
Eric
Having just completed this same repair, I too went looking for bumpers. The long soft rubber bumpers used to be stocked at ACE as part number 40240. That part number is no longer available - I bought the last 3 that my local ACE had in the bin. However, part number 40203 appears to be identical, were stocked in quantity, and the ACE Owners' site said there are plenty in the local warehouse, and no notice of discontinuation for them. So I bought 4 of those (they come in pairs) at a different ACE.

These bumpers are longer than the OEM bumpers - 2 1/2 inches as opposed to 1 3/4 inches. This will bring the user's weight close to the edge of the toilet top, where the top is stronger, as opposed to centering it on the gap, where the crack occurs. And they are soft rubber, as opposed to the hard plastic of the OEM bumpers. This will reduce point-stress loading, which contributed to the cracking of the toilet top.

I have posted bumper pix below. This may be more than you wanted to know about toilet seats, but here it is. First pic shows the original 4 bumpers, with one removed. They are simple press-in bumpers that fit predrilled holes in the underside of the seat. Removing it reveals that the toilet seat is plastic coated wood, so it will hold screws. Picture 2 shows the difference in size between the old bumpers and the new one (center). Pic three shows where I mounted the seven bumpers I bought. The existing holes have been filled with RTV.

BTW, part number 40203 was the one recommended by Dave / Shrimp Burrito in his earlier post. However, his linked source seemed to be a specialty source - I found them to be available at any old ACE Hardware.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orig 4 bumpers.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	5294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compare bumper size .JPG
Views:	148
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final - 7 bumpers.JPG