View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Honda Odyssey as tow vehicle

Quote:
I would buy the same vehicle.  It gets great HWY gas mileage (25~26MPG) when you are not towing and not so bad (15~16MPG) when you are towing.

Ditto, what  MD99 said about petrol numbers, though mine is a 2001 model!!!

My 2720SL tows very nicely. You will be getting 30 more HP than I have (assuming a 2002 or newer model), and a higher  GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) than my 8160 lbs.  If the sales person doesn't know the vehicle dry weight and/or GCWR, ask to see the owner's manual to find Ody dry weight/GCWR. A little math will tell you what limitations there will be on how much you can haul. I.e., a rough estimate  using Ody dry wt + pax + cargo + trailer wts. can be very enlightening and prevent optimism from overruling  reality.

A 3023 can hit the max trailer tow weight fairly quickly if all the TM optional equipment  is purchased. Most arrive at the dealer well optioned anyway.

A 2730 lb. dry weight 3023 trailer will top out at  3050 - 3150 lbs. by the time all options are figured in. Depending on what the vehicle tow limit is (mine's 3500 lbs... I don't know about the 2003 models). So, if I were towing the 3023 with a dry weight of 3100 lbs, I would be limited to 400 lbs of payload. Doesn't take much to hit that limit.

If the GCWR is high enough, the remaining cargo items can be carried in the vehicle.

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote