View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

TrailManorMan is quite right regarding the Weight Distribution Hitch. The answer depends very much on which TM you have, what kind of tow vehicle you have, and how it is equipped. Why don't you add this information to your signature line - it helps when questions need to be answered.

The need for a WDH is one of the most popular topics on this board. You can use the Search tool on terms like "WDH" or "Weight Distribution" to bring up more discussion than you want to wade through. Another answer - a quicker one - can be found in the TM Technical Library. This is the very first forum on the board, officially titled Trail Manor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else. Scroll down through the titles, and find the ones that address your questions. You will find info on what a WDH is, how to tell if you need one, and how to properly adjust it.

Regarding sway control, the answer is quite different. Trail Manors are specifically designed not to sway, and there is general (though never quite universal) agreement that they don't. Therefore most of us don't use sway bars. Again, the Technical Library has at least one article on this topic. It outlines the method that TM uses to avoid sway, and discusses sway control methods if you decide you still want to use them. (Hint. Don't use friction sway bars!)

Most of us who use their TMs a lot (including me) have experienced situations where sway would be inevitable with other trailers. These include the easy ones - big rigs blowing past, and sudden crosswinds - as well as the tougher ones, such as blowouts, idiot drivers forcing emergency maneuvers, dropping off the edge of the pavement, and so forth. I've been through all of these, and although I have no sway control device, I have never experienced any sway. Most members agree.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote