Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
CeeWoo

Bought my 2002 TM used a couple months ago with no idea how/if the bearings had been maintained. Decided while out dry camping to connect the zerks to the grease gun. I had felt the hub on our first trip and it wasn't bad, but this time out the drivers side hub was hotter than all hades (I got in the habit of constantly checking with our first popup). Manual that came with the trailer said it should take 10 to 20 pumps to get clean grease coming out.

Since I only had 1 tube, of bearing grease with me (I believe 14 oz), half a tube later I figured I should disconnect and give the other side some grease. I'm going to give them both another shot soon, but I would say that the hubs were much much cooler when we returned the trailer to storage (of course same distance as it had been towed previously)

BTW-it wasn't nearly as messy a job as I had expected. I just put old newspapers below the hubs and caught the old grease as it dropped out. Now if I can just figure out how to properly disconnect the grease gun from the zerk. It was like I was losing a tug-of-war LOL