View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfandgolf View Post
I registered my TM for the first time a few months ago and found it interesting that they couldn't give me a permanent trailer tag, which I had on my old tent trailer, something about the classification. Not sure if it's just a Ca thing or not.
In CA, and many other states, if the trailer has cooking capability and a sink and toilet, it is actually considered "a house on wheels", and different criteria comes into play at the time of registration. When I lived in CA and worked for BOE (Board of Equalization) we regularly dealt with people that had bought RV's and trailers out of state, often to avoid sales tax. Many were p....d off that they had to pay. Some said that they had traveled in other states for 6 months but when asked could not produce ONE receipt for gas, food or other items from that other state. Here in AZ where I live now, it is a property tax that is based on the value of the trailer. It does go down a certain percentage every year as the value of the trailer goes down. Same thing with a car. In CA it is a fee (at least it was when I lived there), and not deductable in AZ it is a tax and therefore deductable.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote