View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
brulaz

Be really careful with Trailmanor's numbers.

Trailmanors tend to have high tongue weights because they place the trailer axle further back on the trailer frame than most other trailers. This makes them very stable, but puts more weight on the tow vehicle (it's rear axle in particular).

You can use a weight distributing hitch to move some of that weight back to the trailer axle (if it's not overloaded already) and some forward to the TV's front axle. This will further improve handling.

If the tongue weight is 600# (I would be really surprised if it's anywhere as low as 351#), you should be able to move 150-200# back to the trailer axle with a WDH. That would meet your 450# hitch rating.

But would you still exceed the TV's GVWR or the front axle's weight rating (as the WDH moves weight from the rear to the front axle) ?

Some of us have found that a TV's tow rating (4500# in your case) is not the problem. Rather it is the trailer's high tongue weight, even with a WDH, which causes us to exceed the TV's GVWR and axle ratings.

Take the payload (GVWR minus empty "Curb weight") of your Pilot, and subtract the expected passenger, gas and your "misc. stuff" weights. Compare what's left with the expected tongue weight ...

On our last trip, we exceeded our Tacoma's GVWR by a couple of hundred pounds. As a result, I'm very cautious about braking as I think that is the weak link.