View Single Post
Old 08-15-2002, 03:15 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: 2720SL TM Wish List

Re the refrig. These days, anyway, TMs these days come with a three-way fridge. Propane, 12vdc, or 115vac. The problem lies in the fact that selecting of one of these involves turning a manual switch on the front of the refrig - there is no automatic switchover from one to the other.

Re the marine power connector. You are right, they are available. WestMarine has them, so does Camping World, and undoubtedly other places. To me, they are incredibly expensive - check their web sites (they may be cheaper at Home Depot/Lowe's - I am going up there later today and will check.) Still, a very do-able solution if you can stomach the cost. The real question is where to mount one. I ruled out mounting it underneath, both because of the possibility of road damage and because I really don't want to crawl in the mud under my rig to hook and unhook the power. This seems to leave three possibilities - up forward on the A-frame somewhere, inside the rear bumper compartment, or on one of the folding shells.

The first strikes me as the best possibility - you would need to run some new 10/3 round cable under the trailer from the A-frame to the power entry, but that is no problem. There are a number of cables under there now - just add it to the bundle.

Number two is also pretty easy, and is easier to wire, but perhaps not as convenient to use. It would probably be a good idea to construct a 6" wide box inside one end of the compartment to protect the connector, but that isn't hard, either. (I carry heavy things like my bottle jack in this compartment.) Besides, I'm not sure that this is any better than simply rerouting the existing cord down through there.

Number three would actually be the most convenient to use, I think, but the connector is longer than the thickness of the wall, so a through-wall mount won't work. If you find a good location, you would simply run the 10-3 cable down the lift arm, beside the cables that are already in place there.

Other ideas greatly welcomed ... It is an interesting challenge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote