View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions. I just talked with 3M tech support, and his recommendation, without my asking about any specific VHB tape, was to go with the 5952, given it would have the highest level of adhesion to both painted and bare metals. I thereafter specifically brought up the 4941 and RP25, and he still thought the 5952 would be the better option.

Given Rick's anecdote about removing paint in the process of removing the tape, I asked about that too, and he said the only good way to remove these tapes while minimizing damage to the mounting surface is to slice the tape lengthwise, as to divide the tape so that each resulting side would be half the thickness of the original tape. The remnant of that process is half the tape still stuck on the surface, but with one side no longer being adhesive. Then, he suggested using a solvent like MEK, acetone, etc. to remove/eat away at that remnant. The choice of solvent depends on which one doesn't also eat away at whatever the material the tape is stuck to, so in our application, I'd want to test in some place to see if the solvent eats away at the TM paint.

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote