View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
cochise

Default Elkmont weight

WOW......The world is finally awakening. Back in 2009 we went to Texas RV from Arizona to purchase our Elkmont. We had been reassured, repeatedly by a Mr. Schultz there, that we would have no problem towing the Elkmont with our Hyundai Santa Fe, which had a towing capacity of 3500 lb with 350 on the tongue. We soon found out that they were downright lying to us. And I still have the documentation to prove it. We went and bought a nice used Chevy Silverado with a tow capacity of 5000 lb. That went well for the year we owned the Elkmont, although the gas mileage was only around 10-11 mpg. So when we finally after way too many problems were able to settle out of the Elkmont, we purchased a Lance trailer, almost the same size, but with a better layout than what we had in the Elkmont. Today I know that we might as well have taken TM up on their offer of a new and better Elkmont, (probably the 26) since we have had our share of problems with the Lance further complicated by the fact that the nearest dealer is more than 150 milaes away, and they told us after having had the Lance for repairs for 6 weeks that they don’t want to do warranty work on trailer they have not sold themselves. Since the Silverado (6 cyl) gave us low mpg, we looked at a bigger truck, and were fortunate to find a 07 Ford F150 with only 10K on it, but with a 5.4 V8, and a capacity of 9000 lb. We are getting better mileage, about 12-14 mpg towing at 55-60 mph, so that is better.

I now know that the travel trailer industry basically is “fraternizing very liberally with the truth” in presenting their products. I also think that TM has at least recently tried to make an effort to be more truthful all around, but that is only one manufacturer. Most lie about the weight by using terms that are hard to understand for the average person. The quality is nothing to write home about, although the manufacturers of the individual items going into the production of a trailer are doing their best to deliver a good product. The companies putting it all together are the ones to blame cutting corners here and there.

But I also found that a travel trailer’s dront, rear and sides makes for a fantastic billboard. So if you see one rolling down the highway with wording on it expressing the owners feeling about the brand, it may be me.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote