View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbell502 View Post
Hi All,
I'm interested in to getting back in to TT camping and touring and have some questions I hope to get some answers to. My last trailer was a Jayco pup up and I enjoyed it very much, but I slow it some years back. After 6 years I have convencied the wife that we need a trailer to bug out when the next Ike comes through. I want her to feel somewhat safe at night so that means hard sides. My questions are what wind speed can a TM safely take before it's time to just ride it out in the truck? Does TM still use wood as structural members if not what year did the stop? Thanks Dean
Wow. Glad to see that you are thinking of emergency plans in advance. I've been through a bunch of hurricanes and otherwise strong winds here in So. Florida, including a Cat 5 (Andrew) over the last hundred (seems like) years.

I agree with you that the best plan (when seriously needed) is to "bug out" with a TT. Go at least 3 days in advance, go back roads, and go southwest of the storm's projected path if possible. Since the projected "path" is for the storm's "eye" and winds can easily reach out for a hundred miles from the eye, I would try to search out good roads to campsites off the beaten path at least that far away. Remember, you can dry camp on a dirt road somewhere if needed - just take your water and food!

Additionally, if your home site is without power, you can always go where there is power for as long as needed.