View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Scott -

My TM Blue Book - the bible - is in my TM, which is closed up across town, so I am working from memory. Bear with me.

First. Yes, the refrig has an internal power fuse for the DC power. You mentioned finding a 3-amp fuse, but that's too small for the DC power fuse. This one is probably the AC power fuse. In the DC line, the fuse should be something on the order of 20 amps. Without my book, I don't know where to tell you to look for it - but it is there.

Second. Jim/Freedom mentions that there is no thermostat control of temperature when running on DC, and this is true for the refrigerators that TM has been using since about 2005(?) Just for the record, I don't think that was true for earlier refrigerators (Dometic/Suburban?), so owners of earlier TMs can take heart.

Third, mtnguy mentioned that it may not be wise to run your refrig on DC while in transit, if you won't have hookups at the end of the day, and in many cases this is also true. The wiring in many (but not all) tow vehicles is too light to support the high current demand of the refrigerstor, and the TM battery is depleted. I finally had to run a new charge wire and ground wire down the length of my Explorer to remedy the problem.

Finally, you wrote
Quote:
So I just returned home and checked the fridge. The TM has been plugged in all day with the fridge set to DC.
Plugged into what? I'm still a bit confused about when DC-power works and when it doesn't. When the TM is plugged into shore power? When it is plugged in the tow vehicle? When the tow vehicle engine is running?

At the moment, my guess is that the refrigerator's internal 12-volt fuse has let go.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote