View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Interesting. If the polarity on the pump is reversed, then the pump is just running in reverse. I don't know the water flow design, but if the pump is an impeller design, I suppose it's possible it could still pump water -- but I'm not sure why that would create the problem you describe.

But switching the wires is not difficult. Remove the 2 phillips screws closest to the top cover behind the seat to uncover the wires.

At the most, it would involve cutting, stripping, and wire-nutting 2 wires together. 5 minute job. If you don't have wire strippers, go get a pair (no more than $10) -- you'll need them again for another project. And if the pump has blade fittings, it would take about 10 seconds to change, no extra tools required.

Dave
You're right Dave. That makes little sense. If the pump were wired wrong it would "Suck" water from the pressure side and "push" water from the suction side of the pump. It seems to me that would just blow bubbles into the tank.

It sounds to me like the pump or the hose from the pump are not located properly or something is blocking the intake OR there is not enough water in the tank to prime the pump..Nonichris......I hope that you realize that it takes about a gallon of water to prime that toilet.

I wouldn't reverse polarity myself, if it is under warranty. Reversing the direction of the impeller could damage the impeller. Most pump impellers are designed to run in one direction and reversing the direction can stretch and distort the impeller vanes. Some impellers will run in both directions but very poorly. A directional impeller is 100% more powerful than a bidirectional impeller. The pump in my toilet moves a LOT of water.

Wayne