View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I wonder if 3 copies on 3 different hard drives would be adequate. Maybe I switch to RAID and enable striping.
You could have 100 copies on 100 different hard drives, but if your house burns down, is flooded, or collapses in an earthquake, you likely won't be able to use any of them. Same thing if they get stolen -- to avoid the later calamity, you can install a network drive in an attic or basement.

I use a Synology network drive - they make models that can accommodate lots of drives. My brother has the same model, and we have configured them to automatically talk with each other. Each unit holds two 1 TB drives. One of those drives is a local backup. The other drive hosts an off-site backup my brother, and his does the same for me - a few times a week they talk to each other to backup the latest files. That gives each of us 1 local backup and 1 remote backup. All automatic, and no subscription fees.

This isn't hard to setup, but it isn't for a novice, either.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote