View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
appleton

Default Adding a radio in a 2005 2619 - speaker wire issue?

I finally got around to adding a Clarion head unit to my new (to me) 2005 2619. I followed some of the old threads and previously installed the same radio in my older 2720. I'm only getting the left speaker, the right one won't work. Here is what i've done in terms of troubleshooting:
  • started with both sets of speaker wires hooked up, no sound in either speaker (stumped)
  • unhooked the right speaker, had sound in the left speaker (rules out the radio)
  • switched the left speaker lead to the right speaker wire, no sound (rules out the right radio wire)
  • switched the left speaker lead back to the left speaker wire and got sound in left speaker
  • Repeated all of the steps with a new speaker hooked in at the bulkhead (rules out the speaker)

What I'm thinking is the right speaker wire is cut/grounded out somewhere. When I hook it up, it cuts out both speakers. I've swapped wires with both speakers and cannot get the right side working.

Can anyone think of any additional troubleshooting steps besides splicing the right radio wire in various places w/ a jumper to see where it might be shorted? Does a short make sense? It's been ages since i did any troubleshooting on car audio. My biggest clue is that once i hook up the left speaker, I lose sound to all speakers. So it's definitely doing something to the radio.

There was previously no radio in the camper. I pulled the panel and the wire bundle was still intact. I felt back to the bundle and didn't nick the wire when I unbundled either. I'm afraid it got nipped with a staple somewhere and the only definitive way of fixing it is to tear the ceiling crown moldings off and fishing another cable direct to the head unit. I hated doing this on my old 2720..esp on a much better condition & newer camper.

thoughts? I'm stumped.
appleton is offline   Reply With Quote