Thread: Over the Limit
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post

"...The Recreational Vehicle Safety & Educational Foundation estimates that 58% of RV's and tow vehicles exceed a manufacturer's stated weight rating. Of those 60% are tow vehicles, 59% are motor homes, 55% are 5th wheels and 51% are travel trailers..."
These are really interesting statistics and it sounds like a great article, but I don't have a copy of the magazine. When I first had camping trailers in the 70's and 80's, it was widely suspected that RV weight numbers were bogus and not worth much. Then, the RVIA established standards for the labels that we all have now, there now are specific ratings for gross weight and carrying capacity, and reality was supposed to ensue.

So my first question is, "How many of those RV's were like that on the day they delivered from the dealer?" Are they total weight numbers or are we just talking about components (wheels, tires, axles, chassis manufacturer ratings, etc.)?

My second question is, "How much overweight are we talking about?" 10lbs? 10%? 50%?
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote