View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua2000
Today I spent the whole day cleaing out the garage and the TM made it by just three inches. Thanks to the awesome idea of the swing hitch.
Hey, welcome aboard! You're gonna love it, and so are the kids.

My TM also just barely fits in my garage, thanks to the swing tongue. Actually, I have perhaps 8" to spare - luxurious compared to your 3". The first time I backed it in, I was oh-so-careful - but still ended up touching the drywall at the back of the garage with the TM's back bumper. Drywall has no strength at all, of course - it crushed like paper. NUTS! So I decided that in the future, I'd back the TM in halfway with the tow vehicle, and then finish it up by hand using the dolly wheel on the jack. I inched it in oh-so-carefully, but it is so heavy that when the bumper AGAIN contacted the drywall, I didn't feel it. More drywall damage - NUTS AGAIN!

Rather than continue to destroy the drywall, I went to Home Depot, and bought a nice straight 12-foot 2x8 and a half dozen lag screws. I mounted the board on the back wall of the garage, screwing it into the studs, at just the height of the TM's bumper. Now if I bonk the wall - well, it ain't smart, but it does no harm. Bonus - the board covered the previous damage to the drywall, so I didn't have to repair it.

Just a thought from someone else with a short garage.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	344  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote