Thread: Winter Camping
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinfl View Post
I know many of you have done winter camping. With as many TrailManors as their are in Colorado, maybe you have some good advice.

Here are a couple questions.

1. Should I travel with the water tank full or empty? Where we are stopping we will have shore power and water.
2. The toilet I know will need antifreeze. Do you use the antifreeze and other chemicals at the same time?
3. I have purchased noodles to go around the beds as suggested to reduce drafts. Should I look anywhere else for drafts? Oh, I also added some insulation around the plumbing.
4. I see they sell foam inserts for the roof vents. Are they really needed .... or is it good to have a little air flow?
5. When driving into cold weather should tire pressure on the 2619 be increased, decreased or exactly what it says on the tire wall?
6. Will the weight of snow cause any serious problems?

This is our first adventure into cold. So any advice would be appreciated.

Dave
Hi Dave--with shore power, your "winter camping" is pretty mild. Rumbleweed's advice on water is best since it sounds like you'll be at full-service campgrounds. Don't rely on the low point drains to do the job. I use water/shower in all temps but I'm set up for it.

Use RV anti-freeze plus your regular toilet chems. Put a splash of anti-f in all the drains each evening, especially the shower, it will also protect the grey tank so you can put dish water etc in there without worry.

I insulate my vents to stop condensation drip, but I think you should try without and see.

I camp with an 8-foot section of an extension ladder in case it snows, and a Shuttsco snow rake. If the TM is up when it snows, you gotta remove all the snow to fold down, at least from the back section. If the TM is down when it snows, you can't raise it, and it doesn't take much. Otherwise, I've slept right thru 2-1/2 feet of snow on the roof.

Don't change tire pressure.

Fun adventure!

wayne

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote