View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I am biased, but I do use solar to keep my batteries charged. I have 2 12v deep-cycle batteries (110 aH each). I initially had one 100w solar panel, which was good much of the time, but during a week of rain most of every day, the batteries didn't fully re-charge daily.

So, I put a second 100w panel on the roof, and now I have full power every afternoon, even when camping in the winter (November and December, once in January). They are just mounted on my roof, so they are not aimed at the sun.

My opinion is that 200w of solar will keep your batteries charged, unless you camp in heavy tree cover. However, I have camped under tall, seemingly thick, Ponderosa or Lodge pole pines, and even on cloudy days, I have never been at less than a full charge by evening (usually by 1 or 2 in the afternoon). Others may say fixed panels are not good, but I have used them for 5 years, and am very happy with them. I don't own a generator, and we boondock for up to 9 nights (I work, so have not gone longer).

Enjoy your TM!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote