View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #23
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

There was never a disposal fee when I lived in VA, but then it was a city, with trash pick up. The garbage trucks took everything to a large facility, where the trash was transferred onto a large conveyor belt, where people literally broke open trash bags, sorted through stuff, and took all the 'hazardous' stuff out - such as 1lb propane bottles. I remember the time they found a baby....

Anyway, in my small town here in NH, we take our trash to our town dump, where we put trash bags into a large compactor, and big, bulky items into a large dumpster (anything you put in the large dumpster you have to pay for), and metal trash is put into a area off to the side, and lawn/tree refuse is put in a large pile and burned occasionally.... you get the drift. We are very aware of every piece of garbage we take to the dump and where it has to go, based on what it is. The 1lb bottles can not go in the compactor, for fear of explosion upon compression, they have to be set aside, and collected, and then they are taken to a separate facility to be disposed of properly when our town facility has a good quantity of them. Same with paint cans, not just spray cans, but any sort of paint, stain, polyurethane, etc. Paint cans we aren't charged for, but we can't bring them to our town dump. We have to keep them ourselves, and take them to a nearby town's facility, on paint collection day - literally just one day per year. Miss it and you are holding onto that stuff for another year. We pay to dispose of anything potentially hazardous - any sort of electronics (tv, computer, monitor) - anywhere from $10/each item to $20/each item.