View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #44
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking New Converter: PD-4655-MBA/L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
I bought the "Boondocker" from "Best Converter". What I got looked nothing like the photo on their web site at the time, and looked exactly like a Parallax converter with a "Boondocker" label stuck over the Parallax one and, if you believe them, some different stuff in the ROM. But I really can't tell. Features in the manual on the web site including lights for burned out fuses were not present. The unit cost at the time about $100 more than the equivalent Parallax unit new on eBay. Prices may be closer now.

I am kind of dubious about "Best Converter" and would suggest you buy a Parallax or Progressive Dynamics converter from another dealer.
Slightly to my surprise - when I called Progressive Dynamics with some questions about the "PD-4655-MBA/L", they recommended bestconverter.com as a highly favored dealer. I ordered one to replace a "Boondocker", which couldn't be programmed for Lithium or provide a pendant to enforce extended "boost-mode" operations. (I will be using the Pendant with my LFP battery pretending to be an AGM - and not switching the board to run in to single-stage 14.6V "Lithium mode").

The Boondocker replaced an original WFCO, and it was sort-of-OK, but not smart enough to reach 100% charge during trips.

My "PD-4655-MBA-L" is actually a "PD4655TV" (replacement section only, with no box or DC board.) The board is only 7" long, with about 2" of empty space on the right of the plastic "base assembly. It ios built with dual fans. "Programming" consists of only two DIP switches - The Lithium versus multistage switch, and a separate switch to select AGM versus SLA (while running multistage).