View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
BobRederick

Talking

Ron
Wireless doesn't have to mean low quality sound. I believe some high-end home theaters now use that technology. Probably the biggest limitation to quality in a wireless systems is the bandwidth of the data stream and with sufficient bandwidth, quality should be achievable. Of course more higher quality always costs more.

Bandwidth of the subject Philips system, which is wired, is about 14 KHz which a purist audiophyle would probably find unsuitable. In the Phillips case, I am pretty sure the bandwidth is limited by the sampling rate. The highest bandwidth is half the sampling rate (Nyquist's theorem) and in practice one can only approach half the sampling rate. We would be talking about maybe a 40 KHz sampling rate for audio rolloff at 14 KHz. Sampling rate in turn is limited by the speed of the semiconductors doing the sampling. Apparently power devices have become available to support 40 KHz sampling.

Linear amplifiers do not do sampling and can support more bandwidth. The advantage of digital amplification (sampling) is low power consumption and accompanying small size.

So its just like many other camping decisions: It isn't ideal, but it is a compromise. It makes camping more interesting to find an array of compromises to get a desired effect outdoors. I think it is a real kick to be watching a video out in the boondocks where I am miles from hookups and not even running the generator.