View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
CAG1976

I just had to fix some leaks around two of my vents and above the front exterior light.

For the vents I used an RV silicone and some Dicor lap sealant NON leveling.

On one vent the original caulk was still pretty good, but it had slow leak in one corner. After looking at the corner, it appeared there was a one inch spot where the caulk was pulled away from the riser boards under the vent and where the corners of the riser boards meet. So I just cleaned out those areas and removed loose caulk and applied the Dicor over that area because it was such a small spot. I would have redone and removed everything but I didn't have the time.

And on the other vent I did remove EVERYTHING and took it back to the painted metal. This was the exhaust fan over the door. That one was leaking at the corners of the riser boards and under the riser boards. So I had no choice but to remove it completely. It was pain to get the old caulk residue completely removed. I ended up having to use a metal putty knife and razor blade to get the last of it off. I did add some scratches by doing this but I figured it was going to get covered over anyway. I also went ahead and replaced the riser boards with new PVC trim boards from home depot and I gorilla glued the corners together to hopefully prevent those corners from separating like they did before. They were just stapled together by the factory. I siliconed down the riser boards with double beads, and the fan flange too. I made sure to keep the silicone caulk from oozing outside too much because I used the Dicor non leveling lap sealant on the outside edges and corners. This repair has held up well because we just had 4 or 5 inches of rain last night and it did not leak. I don't know about the other two areas I caulked. I just did those this morning but its supposed to rain every day here for the next few days so we shall see. The worst leak I have had was from that outside light on the front shell above the tongue. Water tends to run down right on top of that light and it was letting water into the light fixture which was flowing back into the trailer right below the front shell cabinets above the front bed (3124kb).