View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As I have posted before, I don't understand the allure of a 2000-watt generator. 2000 watts is just exactly the wrong value. It won't run your air conditioner. And it is way overkill for most other things. A 1000-watt generator is smaller, cheaper, quieter, and will handle most anything you are likely to have in a TM.

The exceptions to the "overkill" statement are usually heat-producing appliances such as a microwave, an electric skillet, or a hair dryer, all of which draw a bit more than 1000 watts in their normal household incarnations. But by shopping a bit, you can find 800-watt versions of all these, so I don't find it to be a big deal.

Having said all that, I hope it is obvious that if you really want to run the TM's air conditioner, a 1000-watt generator isn't the answer, and a 2000 watt generator isn't, either. You will need a pair of EU2000i generators and the connecting cable. Or a 2500-watt unit from another manufacturer. So the need for air conditioning is really your big question.

To answer your specific question, a television draws a relatively tiny amount of current. Somewhere on the case, near the power cord entry, will be the actual numbers, but it is probably less than 100 watts (1 amp on AC power). A 1000-watt generator will handle it just fine. And if you buy an AC/DC model TV,you can run from battery all evening, and recharge from your generator in the morning.

Just my two cents - many others disagree.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote