View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking A nice Breaker (Shutoff), with the *best* SLA maintenance device in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Does anyone know what gauge the battery cables are? I'm trying to find an inline blade fuse holder but the ones I'm finding at the car parts stores look really small gauge wire. Anyone have a recommendation? Or better yet, a breaker recommendation? I found a slick inline 30A breaker but it is for 15 gauge and larger cable (for car audio amps) so I don't think that will work.
The wire between the battery and DC Load Center is 10-AWG. (For DC wiring, TM used this wire size nearly everywhere.) Your "slick car audio breaker" might be the exact one I recommend - "15 gauge and larger", up to about 8-AWG, which works beautifully as a replacement for the failure-prone "spring-loaded cylinder" OEM fuse. There are zillions of EBay sellers, but this one has the highest rating right now, and the best price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30A-12V-DC-S...-/262955171569.

After you've got that in place, you can easily shut off the batteries-to-TM power connection ("+" terminal) while leaving all of your wires in place. (The batteries and TM frame continue to share "-" Ground, but there's no "+" connection, and no circuit). Then, with phantom loads removed, you can use this maintenance device, it can handle up to about 250 AH of 12V battery capacity: https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-864-A.../dp/B006G14FK8

It's a very finicky 8-stage charger. It doesn't work for other battery types, and it doesn't have enough maximum amperage to handle phantom loads and charge batteries at the same time. (It also needs about 2 days to charge a typical pair of batteries from 50% State-Of-Charge.) Here's a picture of mine in action today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM-circuit-breaker.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	15611   Click image for larger version

Name:	ctek-image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	15612