Thread: Disc Brakes?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
That sounds way too soon for brakes on the trailer (next year would put you at roughly 10,000 miles), but maybe the mechanic was overstating his process of preparing you to spend money at next year's visit, as those guys occasionally do. If you really were getting just 10,000 miles between brake jobs on the trailer, it's hard to imagine that being economical relative to the service you get from the brakes on your tow vehicle. But I guess it still comes down to just "how much" and "how often".
My dad used to own a "gas station" many years ago. I know full well what those guys are capable of.

My mechanic has been working on my vehicles since 1986. I have great confidence that I am not getting ripped off by him. However, he also is not the cheapest guy in town.

What he actually said was that the pads were at the half way point. Also, I only camp in the Sierras, between 5000 and 8000 feet. A lot of my miles are in the mountains. Therefore, I would not be surprised to see that my brakes wear faster than normal. I use the transmission when I can, but driving down the mountains in heavy traffic results in using the brakes a lot.