View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
I
I have noticed that one hub runs maybe 10-15 degrees warmer than the other, but both have been below 130 deg. (According to Dexter, anything over 200 deg. is cause for concern.) I do recall that one hub was a shade looser than the other when I last assembled them after checking brakes. I think it had to do with the position of the castle nut if I recall.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check my weights and reconfirm the bearings before our next trip later this month.

Steve
I had 1 hub that ran warmer than the other. I cleaned and relubed those bearings with no obvious improvement. I then did it over again to see if I had missed something, as well as the opposite side to compare slack. I noticed that the "hot" side had quite a bit more brake dust in the drum than the other side, even though I didn't have but about 200 miles on that side (the side that I had just done earlier). I then adjusted the brakes on both sides....there was quite a bit of adjustment needed on both.

Now both sides run equal temperature. I am not exactly sure what was going on, but here is my idea: I think the "hot" side that I did and then redid was due to heat transfer from the brake drum. I am wondering if my brakes were so out of adjustment on that side, that when I first braked (forward motion), that the shoe came out of the upper pivot point (which it will do with no drum on when checking the operation of the brake) and continued to rub the drum, causing the hub to heat also. When I would back it into the driveway, the shoe would reseat when the brake applied, so that when I jacked the wheel up to check the rotation, everything would seem fine. The extra amount of brake dust in that wheel makes me think something like that happened.

Ideas from others ????

Chap