View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
My only concern with increased torsion bar assistance when opening is that that tension is constantly pushing up on the shell.
Yes, it is. But that tension is absorbed entirely by the big latches in the middle of the trailer.
Quote:
If they continued to use those little tent trailer style hold down clamps at the corners, they would be more likely to pull away from the side of the trailer.
I'm not sure why. The little clamps don't see any of the force, since they are not latched until the big clamps have snapped closed and taken the force of the torsion bars.
Quote:
I think one would have to use 4 of those heavy latches that they use in the centre of the trailer, one at each corner of the shell. The power latch-down system could simply pull the shell down until each latch engages.
I'm not sure I understand this thought. The only time the little latches at the corners are latched is when the big latches in the middle are also latched. At that time, the big latches take all the force of the torsion bars, so the little latches never see the force of the torsion bars, no matter how much you crank them up. You release the little clamps before you release the big ones, so again, the little ones never see that big force.

In other words, you can beef up the torsion bars as much as you like, and the little clamps will never see it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote