View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Talking Front shell install (Pictures) old version, glass-aluminum framed panels.

I installed yesterday; it took about 5 hours. For "extra safety" in high-wind conditions from the front (towing), I added another pair of mounts towards the front of the panels -- Each panel has 4 mounting holes along each side, and I'm using #1 front, #2 front next one empty, and the two ends. I used VHB tape type "R32", a new version which they claim to be "even better".

They are lengthwise on the front shell, a bit in front of the overhead lights (and skylight) along the middle. However, I put them close to the edges for two reasons: (1) By leaving a big gap along the middle of the roof; and (2) the edges, with all of that vertical wall structure underneath, are stronger and stiffer than the middle.

I went down the "street side" front lift. But with the cable hiding the black cables from view as they go down the shell, it's barely visible at all - and there are a couple of useful holes, down in the frame, which could be used by a door-side installation. If I was doing it again, I'd bring the cable down on the door side.

The last photo shows a big surprise: In 80% morning shade, 8:40 AM PDT (which is really like 7:40 AM, as far as the sun is concerned), and halfway under a tree, it already runs! (Green light.) Not much current, certainly, but the voltage is high enough to run "bulk" charge at 14.5V.
- - - - -
I'll end with a summary of the two Ebay sellers, 'Renogy' versus 'WindyNation', as I see it, now that I've finished. I've not installed a WIndyNation kit, but I think that it is a slightly better choice:

1: Renogy has 100.0% approval, Windy has "only" 99.8%. Advantage Renogy, but very slight.

2. They both sell "100 watt" panels, but Windy's panels have about 5% more current (at 5% less excess voltage). Unless you have MPPT (which makes very little sense in a 200-400 Watt system), Windy's kit will outperform Renogy's. Advantage WIndy.

3. Renogy supplies only a 20 ft extension cable, which makes only 10 foot "plus" and "minus" cables after you cut it in half. That's not enough for a TM front shell install! WIndy provides 40 feet, which seems to be just enough for a front shell installation. Both cables are only 12 AWG, so, if you want 10 AWG, then you're ignoring the kit cable and buying another separately - no difference. But if you're going to use the kit-supplied 12-AWG, this is a big advantage to Windy.

4. Renogy's kits cost slightly less. Advantage Renogy.
- - - - -
Summary: Either of these vendors seems to be great. But if you're willing to use 12-AWG cables, then WIndy wins.

New Edit, 5/16/2019: Picture shows my the PWM Controller from my "kit", which did not work well. I strongly recommend MPPT, in particular the EP-Solar "BNxxxxx" Charge Controllers, for all TM Solar installations of 200W and higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lift-arm-details.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	8482   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof-with-messy-connectors.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	8483   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-mounts-each.jpg
Views:	162