View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

It has never been a large company. If you look at the VINs, there are only a few years with over 500 built. I wondered then how it could support two major operations. Still such a move is not cheap particularly if large molds and jigs must be transported.

My guess is that it is part of the cash infusion that must have taken place to finance the RISE development. Just hope the move also results in hiring an automotive engineer who understand chassis and electrical systems as well as how to comply with RVIA & DOT requirements.

There must be a financial reason though as it does not make much sense otherwise. The bulk of the sales are in the eastern crescent: Maine to Texas and transporation from TN is easy year round. Not sure I can say the same for Nebraska. (my Vixen was originally built in Michigan an the demographics were similar. After the breakup everything moved to Montana and after struggling for a few years, they recently closed their doors).

When I worked at GM I was involved in some similar moves and startup pains are myriad.

Trailmanor's success has always been built on the original design: Two folding end caps with a variable length center. Brilliant and timeless but the major innovation since then were the front slide and foam honeycomb instead of a wood frame. The two most needed (IMNSHO) a rear slide and power raising and lowering, have not been accomplished.