Thread: Membership
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Welcome aboard! In these days of instant gratification, the TM forum is kind of an anachronism. The new member process normally takes about a week. There are two reasons for this. First, Chris handles all applications manually - nothing is automated. You have to realize that this forum is like a hobby for him. He has a very busy job and life and young family, and so it is easy for his "real life" to intrude on his forum activities. I'm sure we all understand that.

The second reason is that as you know, this forum is ad-free and spam-free. Because it offers full membership for free for 30 days, a lot of spammers sign up and try to dump a load on us. The one week delay enables the forum membership software to make a number of validity checks on new signups - things like black-list checking. It also allows us (primarily me) to make a number of manual checks if anything looks fishy.

This system seems to work well. We have virtually no spam and no ads. But the cost of that freedom is the delay in activating new accounts. If the delay goes out to a week and you haven't heard about your application, by all means query Chris. But membership within a few hours? Probably not gonna happen. For now I can only advocate patience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote