View Single Post
Old 01-12-2024, 03:25 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Shane has pretty much covered it. Some minor comments ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFulford View Post
What happened when a sizeable tree limb fell on your roof?
That is a pretty open-ended question, of course, depending on how big the tree limb is, what it weighs, how far it fell, how it landed. Most any trailer can be badly damaged if the hit is right. With no damage, we have had several 2" branches coming down from a height of 20' above the roof in windstorms. And although we have not experienced it, hail will dent the roof of most any trailer.

Quote:
Second, is the roof walkable.
I wouldn't get up there and stroll around like a walk in the park. I have been up there, but I first put down a 4'x4' hunk of thick rug, then a half sheet of kinda-flexy 1/4" plywood, and then I crawled around on it on my hands and knees, staying toward the edge of the roof as much as possible. Spreading the weight this way seems to prevent dimples and dents. As Shane pointed out, though, this technique still leaves the roof supporting your entire weight, and if the roof is already weak, deformed, or (especially) losing its arch, I would recommend staying off it.

Quote:
Third, new TMs are a lot more expensive (~$40,000) than many other trailers but are lighter and more aerodynamic than others. As owners, is the additional cost worth it to you?
For us, tow-ability and mpg were not a big consideration, though it is nice, of course. The big draw was the complete livability and comfort, and the ability to keep it in our garage. We had almost pulled the trigger on a big Coleman pop-up - so glad we didn't.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote