View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
TM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
Just a note here; copper gas lines are not soft copper but annealed copper which is a hard copper.
What's your point?

Hard copper tubing that has been annealed (a process that makes hard copper flexible) is referred to as "soft copper" tubing in the industry. The PDF article I linked to above explains this on page 1. The flexible copper propane gas tubing used on the TM's are therefore rightly referred to as "soft copper." However, if you personally prefer the terms rigid instead of hard and flexible instead of soft - that's fine. But down at the hardware store, they distinguish copper tubing as either hard or soft. Thanks, but I don't think your comment has any relevance to this discussion.

If anyone is curious how copper tubing is manufactured, he is an article:
http://www.copper.org/publications/n...owdo_tube.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
The proper repair is a compression fitting such as swag lock. Proper flaring is a skill most may not have, especially when working with annealed copper.
A professional may be your best bet for repairing.
Compression fittings can be used on soft copper tubing. But not in propane gas applications (especially the ones on wheels going 65mph over the potholes)! It's flare fittings or brazing only. No soldering either. Save the compression fittings and soldering for things like water applications when using soft copper tubing.

The Copper Tube Handbook http://www.columbiapipe.com/document...handbook1.aspx

As great as these forums are, please remember folks that there are some well intentioned people who will do the equivalent of recommending you install car parts on your Cessna 172. Be safe, please.
Thetford SmartTote 18LX
-------------------------------------------------------
2005 F150 5.4l 3V Triton V8; Maxxis Bravo H/T-770
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
RideControl by Air Lift
TM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote