View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jess -

I will admit right up front that I think the Trail Manor is wildly superior to the Hi-Lo. When you compare similar models (in terms of interior space and bed size, the things that grab me), and then compare the weights of the two trailers - well, you can do it for yourself. Hi-Los are HEAVY. Beyond that, much of the equipment is similar, but as I look down the list of options vs standard equipment in the 27-foot size (my TM), there are some significant differences.

I find opening and closing to be a one-handed operation, but a 5'2" lady might not. There have been threads written by folks older than I about how to make opening even easier for someone with very limited upper-body strength or weight. For example, take a look at this thread, where several tips are presented.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2011

My TM virtually closes itself - you just lean against the ends and they float down. There is a current thread about replacing the step-in U-bolts with larger ones, to facilitate snapping the travel latches closed.

I haven't found condensation to be a problem, though others such as Michael have experienced it. However, it won't be any more or less of a problem in a Hi-Lo - it has to do with sources of moisture (cooking, breathing, unvented propane heaters) and venting (do you crack a vent when it gets moist) which will be the same in the two trailers.

My only complaint about my TM is that it is too easy to overload with my stuff. Since I make cross-country trips twice a year, I end up packing heavy, and my next TM will have a heavier axle and tires. I don't know about the available payload of a Hi-Lo.

And I have no idea how they compare in price for equivalent models, equally equipped.

Good luck in your analysis.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote