View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default For me, not much to complain about

Generally my feelings echo those of Bill...if the smaller TMs have a weakness it's the relatively low axle/tire weight rating of the single axle on the 2720s and 2619s (3500 lb axle rating, 3720 (1860 each side) lb tire rating with the standard 14 inch tires). I'm seriously considering spending the bucks in 2006 to retrofit my 27202SL with a 5000 lb axle and 15 inch tires (and disc brakes). If you wind up ordering a 2619/2720 TM (i.e. not buying one off a lot), I strongly encourage you to order the optional heavy duty (5000 lb rating) axle with 15 inch tires.

Going along with the limited axle rating is the relatively small (20 gallons on most models) fresh water and 28 gallon grey water tanks. Not an issue for those who camp in full-hookup campgrounds, but a big issue for those of use who boondock camp for multiple days in primitive campgrounds that don't even have a dump station in the campground.

Based on a lot of posts here, the recycling toilet can be an odor problem if you use it for defecation and don't use a lot of chemicals and dump very frequently. Long ago someone posted some sage advice on this board: if you want to guarantee you'll never have a smelly toilet, then "don't poop in the potty". Seemed like incredibly sound advice to me and accordingly I only use the onboard toilet for urination (mainly at night) and have never had even a slight odor problem. Plus I can go around 10 person-days between toilet dumps.

As for difficulty in opening the shells, I find it hard to believe even the smallest, least muscular woman can't open the shells if (1) the trailer is carefully leveled and (2) the torsion bars (4 per shell) are very carefully adjusted. I personally can open both the rear and front shells on my trailer with just one finger. Yes I work out a lot and have a lot of upper body/arm/hand strength but the one-finger opening is mostly due to having the torsion bar adjustments perfectly tweaked and careful leveling (which is pretty easy with an electric tongue jack and an electric drill to operate the leveling jacks).

As for size/sense of spaciousness, it all depends on how much personal space you and your wife need/want and how much crowding you'll tolerate for a few days of camping. Me...I like/need a lot of personal space and find a 2720SL is great for one adult (namely Me!...I almost always travel solo), is pretty bearable with 2 adults; and would feel pretty crowded with just 3 adults or 2 adults and a teenager. 2 adults and 2 preteen kids is probably do-able if you really liked the kids. No way would I try camping with a 4 adults in a 2720SL.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote