View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
ChillEDog

Default First Trip Report 2619

After years of web browsing, reviewing makes & models, realizing that no upright trailer would fit under my carport and not wanting a popup tent, I discovered TrailManor, and about the same time found a 2007 2619 for sale near me. Within about ten minutes of viewing the unit I knew I wanted it.

Around a month after the purchase, we had our first trip scheduled, to Eisenhower State Park in north Texas. Intended Friday morning departure, time off scheduled, camper/TV/bike rack & bikes all ready to go Thursday night. Everything in place, but of course work kept me from departing until around 6pm Fri evening.

We got to the park as quickly as possible, but it was dark by the time we got to our campsite. They gave us one with quite an incline, near the facilities (nice) but also near the dump holding (not).

So it’s Friday night, well past nine, the DW is having a kidney stone episode, and I’m trying to get systems functioning. Translation: the toilet. Because DW has been drinking a LOT of water. That took at least an hour (seems the regulator had a blockage). Finally get water resolved. Time to charge the toilet. Chempak instructions say: 2 packages into the toilet, then 3 gal water. Let me tell you, the chemicals darn near asphyxiated me. Was like snorting ammonia. Had to step outside the bathroom for air.

Got toilet working (MAJOR confidence boost). After half-hour search for the electric water heater switch, hot water working (very hot, nice!). All lights ok. A/C super powerful, and cold. Refrigerator seems to finally be cooling. My worries about systems not working gone, everything seems in good shape.

To bed. Not sleeping well at all. Like sleeping on the side of a mountain. And the rooftop a/c unit is like a tornado. Around 2am I seem to feel the trailer shifting. Realize I forgot to chock. THAT will get your attention. Step outside, the air smells fantastic, put some chocks in place. In the morning I realize I also forgot to level. Hence the mountain-side sensation. Got us leveled, using cordless drill technique (thanks trailmanorowners.com), what a difference that makes.

Saturday, feeling pretty ragged from lack of sleep, but we’re camping in our new TM so we’re pretty happy. DW feeling better too. She tries the shower, reports it’s a-ok, good news indeed (if the wife likes it…). Toilet seems to be working as advertised, no odor issues, all good. Coffee never tasted better. DW fixes fantastic bacon+egg breakfast on TM stove. A few blunders but we are making progress.

The day flies by. Spend the day re-arranging, figuring out what goes where, a nap for DW, trip to Wal-Mart for me (nightlight, spices, Jimmy Buffet CD, all the things we forgot) We walk around the campground once or twice (we find our beloved TM is small potatoes compared to some of these units, but we still love it. And it’s paid for…). I start to install new curtains from factory (more of a chore than anticipated, only got one done). That evening, steaks, salmon, grilled asparagus, all on the campsite grill. A fire going, the TM with exterior lights, no unresolved issues. We are camping now. And it is as enjoyable as we’d hoped, even with the blunders.

Sunday, we have breakfast, I take a quick trip on the new mountain bike, we drive around the park, spotting another TM (2720 SL I think). Time to start packing up, more work than setup it seems. Trip home uneventul.

Now the interesting part... I have an alley, carport, dips and inclines, telephone poles and fences, limited space. Challenging constraints for parking a TM. Had tried backing in several times, ended up positioning by hand. (A strong young son helps.) Per a post from happybeebob, I got a front-mounted hitch + extension to be able to push the TM into place. After a few false steps, I got the TM in place, and I mean perfectly. The front hitch definitely does the job!

So, from fairly late Friday night until Sunday departure, we learned a ton about the TM, we had some fun, we enjoyed some music and good food. Not the smoothest trip but successful, all things considered, and we loved every minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130413_093049.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	8270   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130413_200541.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	8271  
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote