View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by larroni View Post
......2008 V6 Dodge Dakota with towing package, hitch towing capacity is 5000lbs and if we add a WDH we are suppose to be able to tow 8000lbs.
....But figure some climbing is going to happen while towing so just don't know if Dakota will be able to handle it. Any help with this delima would be greatly appreciated but especially would like to hear from any Dakota owner's if there are any.
Roni, based on what I can quickly find on the web, your Dakota is rated for 4500-5000 lbs.
I would definitely recommend the WDH, but as others have said, this doesn't increase your overall tow capacity as the dealer told you. A WDH merely distributes some weight from the rear axle to the front axle to offer better overall handling and control.
Other things you can do to help the Dakota would be add things like transmission cooler, use synthetic lubricates (engine oil and tranny fluid), etc. You should also verify what axle ratio you have. Depending on this, you can possibly change this to get more capacity.
Being as you bought it used, I would also generally go through it checking all fluids, brake condition, tire condition, tune-up, look for leaks, etc. A little looking around and work now, may save you major headaches somewhere along the road later.

Good luck!