View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #3
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post

Order is as follows:
2720QB, awning, swing hitch, LP quick connect on outside (thought it would be nice, anyone have any comments about it?), front window (since it is an option now), and the extra hanging cabinets.

We don't need A/C, or TV antennas, and don't mind cranking down jacks manually, we want a pretty "basic" unit.

After reading about aslag54's problems with his TM order and quality issues I began to worry about the direction TM is headed and if buying a new TM ~$30k is a good idea now or if the units coming out of Nebraska the first year or so are going to have issues down the road.

I've looked at used units and while they are rare here on the west coast (California) I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a better bet to find a used one that was built with the original team in TN. We are planning on keeping the TM a very long time (forever?) for all the reasons people buy TMs (don't want to pay for storing a large RV, can't fit a TT at our house, easy towing, etc). So I don't want to get a unit that is TOO old, and of course I want as many of the improvements TM has made over the years.

So here's what I'm hoping everyone here can help me with, giving me input to my questions below.

1) Reading this forum it seems like 2006 was a big design change away from wooden frames. Are there any particular years that have other big improvements, keeping in mind that we plan on keeping this for a very long time. (I don't really like the idea of buying a 9 year old RV if we are going to keep it for another 10-15 years).

2) One of the reasons we wanted a "basic" model (no A/C, TV antennas etc) was we didn't need/want them and it seems like just another thing that could break/leak. What are the risks of buying a used with these options if we aren't planning on using them? How likely are leaks around these things?

3) Any other wise words from all you helpful folks? I've seen a few 2009s and older but they almost always come with A/C, and all the other "extras" we don't want/need.

Thanks in advance!
You have some excellent options, so I'll provide some of my humble opinions given I recently was in your shoes looking for decent used TM's.

First, as you mentioned, aslag54 experience would give me pause for concern for purchasing any new TM unit right now. IMHO until Bob and the Nebraska TM folks resolve aslag54 units constant delays, and on top of that the quality issues, I would look at your other options. In fact, you can always look at used ones and keep your new order intact on the hope they resolve these issues, and cancel if you find a good used TM.

Next, you mention you don't want or need an A/C or TV/Cable hookup, but almost every used TM I have seen has those items, so I don't believe you'll have much choice there. Also, I don't believe having them adds any additional concerns for leaks or maintenance, though if you choose to remove them I would be concerned about leaks. Also if you keep those options on, it will help with resale later, whenever that might be.

The good news is you will have a BIG range of choices for used, though being on the West Coast the prices appear to be much higher then the rest of the country. You'll need to decide how far you are willing to travel to see/buy one, and being armed and ready to do a complete pre-purchase inspection.

Bill or others are better equipped to address your question on differences in model years, but the big change from wood in the frames to metal came in 2002-2003.

There are a number of newer used TM's on rvtrader.com, but the other question I would have is what is your tow vehicle and do you know the tow rating, and are you only looking at a 2720 or could you open up your search to other models? I know I had a length restriction based on my garage, and you may have a similar requirement based on your 2016 order had a swing out hitch also.

Good luck on your decision and search ....
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote