View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If you are going into the mountains, I suggest that you not try to do it with a 3500-pound-rated vehicle. A couple years ago, this board seemed to reach a concensus that a 5000-rated vehicle was the minimum for your situation, and more would be better. That concensus seems to have been forgotten, but it was based on a series of experiences such as are being related here.

Let me suggest that you listen to HarveryRV's discussion GCWR. It is the proper way to address the question. But if the alphabet soup of acronyms just seems to be too much to work through, then at very least you should get a vehicle whose tow rating is well above the expected loaded weight (not dry weight!) of your trailer.

For what it's worth, I tow my 2720SL with a Ford Explorer 4.6L (small) V-8, tow rating about 6800 pounds. Not surprisingly, it is overkill in Indiana and Illinois. But climbing steeply at 8000 feet in the Rockies, it is barely adequate. On the other hand, even after being repeatedly and severely challenged out west, my previous Explorer (2002) with the same rating, lasted 160,000 miles before I traded it. A less strong vehicle might have given up at far fewer miles. Gas mileage is not the only consideration.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote