Thread: Disc Brakes?
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
arniland

Default Hot trailer brakes?

I would have to concur with Bobby's comments. Over the past 6 years, I have put tens of thousands of road miles on my enclosed trailer with typical electro/mechanical drum trailer brakes. We haul an antique car around the eastern half of the U.S. I have no problem with hot brakes. However, I keep them properly adjusted and downshift the tow vehicle to hold speeds down on long, steep downgrades. At each stop I walk around and touch each wheel and brake drum. I have not found heat to be an issue.

A year ago I researched disk trailer brakes for a friend with a much larger enclosed trailer. The system I looked at (Dexter?) used an additional, electronically activated, hydraulic master cylinder mounted on the trailer to activate the trailer's disk brake calipers. It was expensive, heavy and complex. While it was a technically superior system (in theory), we could not justify all of the cost and effort. Weight was not a consideration.

In researching the Marathon tire issue I have read the postings of many members of this forum, but I don't remember any discussions of brake heat problems. Frenchy, for instance, has done 28,500 miles of travel with his TM (http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6870) and makes no mention of brake problems.

IMHO - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Life will find enough things for each of us to worry about.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote