View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
MisterP

Default AT&T Wireless Home Phone

We have used Vonage VOIP for a home number for quite a while now. I like having a separate number for any time I have to give my number out, such as online ordering, deliveries, or anybody I don't want calling our mobile numbers.

I paid Vonage about $320 on an annual payment plan. I had been looking around for cheaper options for a while without finding anything that I liked. Or that would provide any savings if I did switch.

This weekend we were wandering around a local mall waiting for thunderstorms to pass, and I saw a banner for wireless home service in the AT&T store window. So I wandered in.

We both had iPhone 3GS phones on a family plan with plenty of minutes, frankly more than I needed, but I am a legacy unlimited data customer and will lose that if I change plans. I asked what the home service was about, and as an existing customer the plan adds $10 plus tax to the bill and shares the family plan minutes. I told them I had Vonage and would not switch unless reasonably assured they could port that number.

The guys called both their customer service and Vonage, confirmed what was necessary, and made the switch. We also walked out with 4S phones for only the $36 activation fee each, since they are offering a swap trade in program. The receipt says I won't see an activation fee on the home adapter, I will see on the next bill.

Vonage turned us off today, and I activated the new adapter in a few minutes. The number ported over fine, and we are good to go. Signal quality is green, which is as good as it gets. As a cellular number, it is good for US number only, and no intl roaming is available. Vonage kept the balance in my account, which I suspected, but my annual payment was mostly used.

Vonage is great if you have family or friends in foreign countries, particularly in Europe, because they are unlimited service if you have high speed Internet. We didn't need that, I had used Vonage for a cheap toll free number for my past business.

Non AT&T customers can get the service for $20 per month plus tax. I did not ask how many minutes they allow for that. Thought I would mention it as an alternative for someone who lives in reasonable proximity to cell service and doesn't want a land line. The adapter has a battery in it that provides a day or two of standby service and 3 hours or so of talk time. So you can disconnect the adapter, plug a wired phone into it, and use it outside or wherever.

I have cordless Uniden phones scattered around the house, and call quality seemed fine. The voice message waiting light came on after a few minutes, and a waiting message also triggers the "stutter" dial tone many are familiar with.

That's about it. Thought I would post this as another alternative for a home number.