View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We've taken three trips so far, ~150 mi one way each time, more or less, so 300 mi RT, on average. No mountains here in the Midwest (Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana), which is a big part of why I'm totally comfortable with the Sienna as TV, with my personal set-up. I don't know how we'd do in mountains, but I've never driven the Sienna in mountains without a TM attached, either, so I have no frame of reference for that.

Gas didn't seem to be consumed at a greater rate than usual. I tend to get 18.5 mpg in mixed commuter driving, and probably got a bit less than that towing, but on virtually all highway roads. I didn't bother to calculate how I was doing with gas, because I had enough on my mind with twin 2.5 year olds... Maybe sometime I'll get around to paying attention to the mileage, right around when I get to weighing the TM, probably!

I can say that it tows quite well. The only time I'm really aware of it back there is when I'm driving on concrete roads, there's a little "porpoising" I can feel from the WDH, but it's not at all bad, just different than when not towing. That, and braking when moving slowly (like in city driving)--the P3 tends to kick in a little harder when coming to rest on the B1 setting then I'd like, not smooth, if I'm not careful with the brake pressure. But at faster speeds, I prefer the feel of B1 braking over no boost--seems smoother then. So, depending on what's going on, I may switch the boost on or off. It's a matter of adjusting the system to my driving style, more a preference thing than anything else, it seems. Never had a situation (yet) that I felt at all out of control or unable to stop in time. Then again, I'm fairly defensive as a driver when towing, so that may contribute as well.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote