View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Skyjim73

Default My dealer says that factory might do the install!

Rickst29, you choice of the Dometic CR-1110 has reassured me - I picked it out of a boating supply catalog for fit (though there were Isotherms that were close in size as well), and also knowing that TM is presently dealing with Dometic as a supplier for the 3 way fridges, I might have a better chance of getting the factory to engineer the installation. Dometic would be motivated, I hoped, to provide tech support, and TM would be able to provide an option for their customers who boondock in warm places like the desert southwest, and already plan to have solar and upgraded battery banks. (Also, to be honest, I think it is a very straightforward mod, as long as the customer understands the need for a robust DC system!)

My wife and i actually ran a little experiment last year after 16 years of hating the lousy en-route cooling performance of the absorption fridge in our old rig. Only reservation i had was whether the BD-35F would be noisy enough to bother us at night, so I picked up a little Dometic CDF-11 for our truck, which happens to be the tiniest BD-35F unit I could find. After falling in love with it as an in-cab replacement for regular coolers, we set it up inside out rig during a trip to Death Valley and found that the noise is not an issue for us - so on to trying to order one in a new TM!

I originally had the idea expressed above - maybe I could get TM to build me a unit "less fridge", no propane plumbing but with DC and AC circuits roughed and appropriately fused/breakered. But now my dealer, Custom RV in Ontario, CA, seems to be pretty sure TM will do the whole install. If so, I am probably in your debt, since I'm sure they follow these threads.

I'm already a fan and sold on the TM design for my purposes, though I realize it's not for everybody. But if TM does come through with this customization request, I am going to be thrilled and impressed with their responsiveness to customer input and probably become a hopeless TM promoter!

Will hopefully have our answer next week when we place our order - supposedly we will have the chance to speak to the TM folks in person at the Pomona RV show, where we intend to place the order. Will update!
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote