View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Engel cooler arrived yesterday!

Actually I should have said "Engel freezer arrived". Did a test immediately after I got it to make sure it worked properly. With the thermostat set to "5" (max cooling) and running on AC (though don't think that makes any difference)...it dropped the temperature in the center of the empty refrigeration chamber from ambient (~70 degrees) to 32 degrees in about 25 minutes. About 30 minutes later the interior temperature was about -7 degrees (yep, 7 degrees below zero (fahrenheit) ~80 degrees below ambient!) and holding with the compressor cycling on and off (40% on, 60% off) every couple of minutes. Sound is a quiet though typical rythmic refrigerator compressor hum...when I get it into the TM I think it'll be about the same loudness as the hum from the TM's 6300 series converter. Really quite tolerable though as there is no fan noise.

The interior has a seemingly non-removable basket device in the top half...it provides a foldaway shelf as well as protection for the cooling coils. Interior volume seems to be as advertised...I will be able to stuff a lot of frozen food in there!

As noted above, I got the mid size 22 qt model. Empty weight is as advertised...about 35 lbs...most of it on the compressor end. Only disappointment is this model doesn't have carrying handles so one must lift it using a circumferential ridge near the bottom. I personally don't expect to have much difficulty carrying it fully loaded...but I also do a lot of strength training (aka weight lifting) at my fitness center. I suspect that someone without quite well developed and well trained muscles might have some problems carrying it...especially if it's filled.

So, although a bit challenging to carry, I'm quite well pleased and feel I got good value for the admittedly high price. Cooling performance far exceeded my expectations and is so much better than a thermoelectric unit that there's really no comparison. This unit will definitely go with me on all my trips...no more having to pre-cool the TM's refer before departures...and no more tight limits on how much frozen food I can bring along.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote