Thread: Breaking Camp
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I can't be of any direct help, except to say the obvious. Figure out what operations are taking the longest, and find a way to shorten or eliminate them. Some people go to great lengths to make their camper homey when they arrive. They hang pictures, open the awning, string up lights, put out a Welcome sign, set up a grill, and so forth. All these things are nice, but they take time to put away. Incidentally, aside from a few interior decorations, all these things would take time in a fifth-wheel, too.

I can tell you that when my wife and I are on the road, and are not feeling hurried, our morning ritual takes about 90 minutes, from the moment our toes touch the floor to the moment we drive out the campground entrance. This includes showering, dressing, making the bed neatly, making coffee, making breakfast, eating breakfast while we watch the news, washing the breakfast dishes, walking the dog a bit, putting everything away, closing the camper, and hooking up.

If we know we will be in a hurry in the morning, we can shorten this to 30 minutes. We don't unhitch the night before. We have a microwave breakfast on paper plates. One of us skips the shower. We don't unpack anything (kid's pictures, etc) that will need to be repacked. Awning stays closed, no welcome mat.

You get the idea. Planning is essential if time is important. And practice will help a lot. Aside from folding the TM and hooking up to the tow vehicle, there isn't much that would go faster in a 5th wheel. Either way, you still have to disconnect and put away the utility connections, for example. I suppose that the fifth wheel people can leave dirty dishes in the sink and wet towels on the floor, which helps them a bit.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote