View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirKevan View Post
1. Which trailer would you choose and why (looking at my family size)

2. How do you keep someone from breaking into your trailer while you are out and about? Hooking up and driving off with it? I'm new...but it just seems like you are very much on the 'honor' system.

3. How do you go about finding destinations to go to? Obviously there is the internet...but do you have an giant RV guide that you use to find good areas and then find the good parks from there or what?
1) If your TV can handle it, I'd choose either the 3023 or 3124KB for the additional living space. The only thing the 3124KB has that the 3023 doesn't is a king bed in the back (vs. a queen) and an additional storage compartment. Otherwise, they're identical. Choose the 3124KB only if:
  • you prefer the space of a king bed
  • one of you gets up at night - the king bed allows you to sleep with your feet at the aisle vs. your feet at the wall -- that means you don't have to crawl over the other person to go to the bathroom
  • you need additional storage - there is extra space under the king bed

Otherwise, get the 3023. It's a little lighter and shorter, which will make it slightly easier to handle. I think they are also easier to find used, but that's not a consideration for you if you're buying at an RV show.

2) Generally, campers seem to respect other folks' property, but just like your home or car, if someone wants to get in your RV or TM, they will. The door has a lock, and you can add a deadbolt for added security. They will also steal the whole thing if they want, but there are many inexpensive after-market products to help deter theft; some occupy the coupler, some lock the wheel. It just depends on your comfort level. I think theft is very unlikely when the TM is setup, simply because the common thief doesn't know how to take it down. And if it is stolen, it will stick out like a sore thumb going down the road. Carry insurance. It will ruin your day if your TM is stolen, but it's not the end of the world.

3) There are lots of campground guides...books, websites, folks on this forum, word of mouth, etc. If you prefer to camp with full hookups in a campground with WiFi and a pool, you'll have alot easier time finding places than if you prefer solitude, wilderness, and isolation. More of the latter places typically require a backpack, but they are out there. They take work to find, especially if you life in a major city.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote