View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

I took my own pictures of the pocket stop and an outside view of the bolt. Other than Maria's pictures, there are no other reference pictures that I have seen of this area. This may be helpful information for those looking at older TM during the transition years.

In the pocket stop you can see two layers of aluminum, one thicker than the other. The thinner one is the aluminum skin, the inner one supports the lift arm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminum skin with aluminum plate.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	15174

Presumably, the weight of the shell rides momentarily on this plate while the shell is being raised or lowered. As Bill said, the shell is like an an aluminum box, so this plate will be securely attached to the metal framing, making it part of the entire frame.

From the side, you can see the inner aluminum plate behind the peeled outer skin. The hole here is slightly elongated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lift bar support bolt.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	15175

Presumably, IF the hole in the inner plate become too elongated, a replacement plate could be inserted and firmly secured to the aluminum frame member visible in the first picture. Given that this trailer is 16 years old, and it has lasted this long so far, I doubt it will be a problem.

Removing the bolt to insert a fender washer may be a good idea, but I would only use stainless steel to prevent electyrolytic action with the aluminum.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote