View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
Todd Perry

Default hope for the Jeep Liberty Diesel?!

angler_2 --

your two postings on the Jeep Liberty have rekindled my hope that it might work out for me. Even though I test drove an '05 last summer, I had given up hope after (1) reading a poor Consumer Reports article claiming very poor mileage and acceleration (0-60MPH in 31 seconds!?) and (2) after hearing about the down sides of a short wheel base per Bob Rederick's posting. I'd recently consigned myself to an XTerra or an SR5 sport truck to get even adequate torque for hills, though must admit the Honda Ridgeline had caught my attention as well. Anyway, as someone in the market for a 3023, I'd appreciate your/anyone's responses to some rookie questions on the Liberty and on towing generally:

#1. What is a manual brake controller? I thought the whole idea behind electric brakes on the trailer was that they were accuated by the brake pedal on the towing vehicle.

#2. I presume your Jeep is an automatic, but since I drive a stick (Suburu AWD), was wondering if shifting down (auto or stick) might help with descents, especially with a 4WD. Do you get the same sort of compression with a diesel as with a gasoline engine? I presume you'd recommend the automatic for towing anyway?

3. I have had my heart set on a 3023, which is 3 feet longer than your model. Is it your sense (or Rederick's/any one else's) that this will make much of a difference for what, as you note, is a ridiculously short wheel base, given the load being towed? Also, is there something inherently more stable about a shorter wheel base in snow? The stability you mention is nothing like the story of many others on this site, who profess a need for chains or outright abstinence in any amount of ice or snow.

4. The 3023 is pretty much the same dry weight as your model, but can theoretically take an additional 700lbs in weight. How do you think the Jeep would perform? (I'm really not thinking of much altitude driving at this time. Living near Washington, D.C., I'm contemplating trips to Florida and Maine/Quebec, but with a few trips per year into the very hilly parts of WVA as well for xcountry skiing).

5. I'm intriguted that your mileage INCREASED at higher speeds. I'm used to this with my Suburu AWD wagon, and tend to get best mileage at 75MPH zone, which seems to be "slow lane" speed around our Capitol Beltway these days anway. Two unrelated question on that:

* Why the better mileage? Were you at lower altitudes, or is there really an inverse relationship between speed and mileage in the 65MPH to 80 MPH range like there is with my car?
* Reading this site, (which my wife swears must be run by a cult, given my interest/its helpfulness , I'm aware of the 65MPH limit rating on TM tires. Did you realize this and know you could were exceeding the limit, or did you purchase other tires. It seems they do exist.

6. Do you have a standard factory towing package? If memory serves, they all come with it. You then presumably got the WDH seperately? Thanks to Russ, we know that the wiring might not be adjusted for the TM. Did you have the same problem?

Through the end of the month, Chrysler is offering its 0 percent financing so I'm checking this pretty aggressively. In the end though, the new Diesel's are as espensive as the XTerra and Ridgeline, (something like $27k), so I may just go with one of them or a used Toyota V8 anyway. My two kids will be happier that way although it seems the Liberty isn't too scrunched in the back.

This said, I really like the mileage, even if diesel remains a bit pricier than gasoline at the moment. In addition, by your account, the Deisel did better than we might expect with some of the gasoline V6s anyway. Your advise, as someone who has towed with "normal" towing vehicles is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks to all to contributed to this thread. It and the entire site are great!

Todd Perry